Recipe by I Cook Therefore I Am
One of my favorite recipes from 1,001 Vegetarian Recipes. Also one of the first recipes I tried to cook when I first became a vegetarian. Sounds funny, tastes great! Even my carnivorous roommate from college loved this one.
Top Review by stephori
very good and easy to make. I used frozen fire roasted corn, black rice and purple onion substitutes in the recipe cause that is what i had on hand and it was still fantastic. I am always looking for flexible sides dish recipes so i can change them up and make them more often without getting tired of them. Now that i know this basic recipe can hold it's own i may try something different next time such as red bell peppers and green onions ;)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup black beans
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat
- Add onions and bell peppers and cook until softened.
- Stir in the water and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in the rice and return to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the corn beans and BBQ sauce and heat through.