Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my favorite recipes from 1,001 Vegetarian Recipes. Also one of the first recipes I tried to cook when I first became a vegetarian. Sounds funny, tastes great! Even my carnivorous roommate from college loved this one.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup black beans
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- Heat oil over medium heat
- Add onions and bell peppers and cook until softened.
- Stir in the water and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in the rice and return to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the corn beans and BBQ sauce and heat through.
very good and easy to make. I used frozen fire roasted corn, black rice and purple onion substitutes in the recipe cause that is what i had on hand and it was still fantastic. I am always looking for flexible sides dish recipes so i can change them up and make them more often without getting tired of them. Now that i know this basic recipe can hold it's own i may try something different next time such as red bell peppers and green onions ;)
Very good. Simple but a very complex flavour. Definitely will be making again. Was a great compliment to the main course of barbecue. I made it on the sideburner on the outdoor grille while cooking up some other great summer foods.
You're right, I Cook, it does sound a little strange, but tastes really good. I doubled the recipe so I could freeze one meal. Will probably have this again, even though my one sister didn't like it (she said it was too sweet). Thnx for posting, I Cook.