Recipe by mersaydees
From Pampered Chef, which has come out with a BBQ Roasting Pan & Can Holder, dishwasher safe. If you don’t yet have the Pampered Chef roasting set, you can still use any large roasting pan for the grill and a can of beer with or without a holder. You may also improvise by using an empty soup tin. If not using a beer can holder, prop the chicken up with the beer can inserted into the cavity and use the legs in tripod fashion. For a great photo using a 24 ounce can of beer, check out Heineken in the Hiney Chicken. US nutrients per serving: calories 370, total fat 21 g, saturated fat 5 g, cholesterol 110 mg, sodium 500 mg, carbohydrate 8 g, fiber 2 g, protein 36 g.
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (2.5 cm)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (15 mL)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (5 mL)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken, 3 1/2-4 pounds (1.6-1.8 kg)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (350 mL)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking over medium heat.
- Combine seasonings in small mixing bowl and mix well.
- In large mixing bowl, combine vegetables, oil and ½ tablespoon (7 mL) of the seasoning; toss to coat.
- Trim excess fat from chicken, if necessary. Sprinkle remaining seasoning all over chicken.
- Pour out or drink about one-fourth of the beer. Place beer can in can holder (if using) in the BBQ Roasting Pan & Can Holder, if using. Place chicken over can holder so that the can is upright in the cavity of the chicken. If not using the beer can holder, simply shove the chicken cavity over the beer can and prop upright using its legs to create a tripod effect. Arrange vegetables around chicken.
- Place roasting pan on grid of grill. Grill, covered, 65-75 minutes or until thermometer registers 165°F (74°C) in thickest part of breast, rotating pan once during grilling. NOTE: if necessary when using charcoal, add 12 new coals on each side of grill after 30 minutes.
- Remove roasting pan from grill. Carefully remove chicken from can holder.
- Discard canned beverage and serve chicken with vegetables.