Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
This quite tasty after a long day at work, more seasonings can be added, to add heat if you wish. Serve with a salad. I have also served it with mashed potatoes and veggies, without buns.
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves (or any other fruit preserves to your liking)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (Or what ever kind you have around)
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 12 kaiser rolls or 12 hamburger buns, split
- Trim excess fat from beef.
- Cut beef into 4 pieces.
- Place beef in 4-5 quart crock pot slow cooker.
- Mix remaining ingredients except buns, pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 7-8 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef from slow cooker.
- Cut beef into thin slices.
- Stir back into sauce.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 20-30 minutes longer or until beef is hot.
- Fill buns with beef mixture.
- The leftover beef can be frozen with the sauce if you do not need 12 at one sitting.
my family really loved the tangy sauce. my beef did not slice, it actually shredded, but since it was served on the buns it was easier to eat. this was a quick, easy, tasty weeknight meal
I am currently taking a free course on special education advocacy. Every week someone has to bring dinner for everyone else. This was my week so I made this recipe. It was a huge hit and everyone said I raised the bar as far as dinners go. My daughter was sad I couldn't leave some for her. I ended up with enough to bring some home but no way to store it for the four hours I was in class so it just stayed out in the open. Very very tasty, I will make this again!