Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a great recipe to throw together and have on hand during football season. Excellent halftime food.
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups catsup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Boil roast until meat begins to fall off the bone.
- Cool roast then strip off bone and fat.
- Saute onions and celery in butter until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Put sauce and meat in a crockpot on low until meat shreds.
- Serve on warm buns.
I use a very similar recipe for this dish, but mine omits the veggies and has 2c water instead of 1c. The meat comes out amazingly tasty & tender every time. I use it for beef, chicken, and pork, and my husband loves it! The other day I cooked pork chops in the sauce for a couple hours, then served those for dinner; I tossed several chicken breasts into the remaining sauce and got to freeze a meal or two of pulled chicken sandwiches. Thanks for posting!