Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from a family friend's recipe. Delicious and my husband asks for it all the time! Great as leftovers and can be made into a beef stew too! Serve on toasted sourdough roles and serve with coleslaw (we like the Fanny Flagg recipe).
- 1 beef roast (O-bone or chuck is good, serves 3-5)
- 6 ounces of your favourite barbecue sauce (We like Chris & Pitt's - just make sure it has a lot of bite!)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (8 -16 ounce) canheinz French onion soup (depending how much broth you want with the beef)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for approximately 5 hours (longer is okay).
- Add more bbq sauce (to taste) and salt and pepper and make sure the meat has come off the bone and is stringy.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns.
My husband is a BBQ fanatic and he really enjoyed this. I did not have a can of French Onion soup, so I sauteed a sweet onion in butter and added a can of beef broth (in place of it and the water). I, also drained the meat and added more BBQ sauce before serving this. Very Good!
WOW! Fall apart tender and very flavorful. This is a delicious and easy recipe to make and eat. I substituted the onion soup with Guiness Extra Stout (forgot to buy soup) and added onion salt in place of the salt. I do not feel that it altered the recipe all that much. I served the beef over a piece of cornbread laced with mild green chilis and topped with coleslaw that I sprinkled with cinnamon. My apartment smells like a bbq restraunt. Thanks for sharing your recipe.