Prep 5 mins
Cook 14 hrs
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- Worcestershire sauce (Dash)
- Roast meat, along with 1 cup water and bouillon cubes until very tender or cook on low in the crock pot 8-10 hours , until tender.
- Shred meat with a fork after cooking and retain 1 cup of the juice from cooking.
- Add rest of the ingredients to shredded meat.
- Put in a crock pot and cook on low heat 3-4 hours (or on high 1 1/2-2 hrs).
- Serve over dinner rolls.
I made this today for supper tomorrow night. Since I don't eat beef, I substituted 3 lbs of chicken, and chicken bouillon. I tested it - delicious. I cooked the chicken using a homemade chicken rub and a bottle of beer. The spices from the chicken rub give a little kick to the flavor. Can't wait for dinner tomorrow.
If I could give this 2.5 stars, I would, because it's a decidedly average recipe. It was certainly easy to prepare with ingredients that were readily on hand. However, the flavor was bland: more tomato-y than bbq-y. I added about a half cup of hickory bbq sauce at the end just to give it a little flavor. My gameday guests didn't complain, but no one was blown away either.
My family and friends really liked this savory beef-it made a scrumptious sauce. It froze very, very well. I had to use part ketchup and bottled barbeque sauce because I didn't have enough tomato sauce. Thanks so much for sharing this one.