8 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from Cook's Country Magazine. I made it for a shower a few weeks ago. People went nuts for it. They asked what BBQ place I got it from. And in Texas, that is a HUGE compliment. They couldn't believe I made it, let alone that it was done in a crock pot and not the traditional way. Don't shred the meet finely in Step 3 because as you add the sauce it will break up some more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- 4 slices bacon, chopped fine
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt & pepper
- 10 sandwich buns, split
- 1Place beef in slow-cooker insert. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to slow-cooker insert. Pour off all but 2 Tablespoons fat from pan and cook onion in remaining bacon fat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add chili powder and paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in coffee, ketchup, sugar and 1 Tablespoon mustard and simmer until reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add half of the sauce to the slow-cooker insert and refrigerate remaining half. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 9 to 10 hours (or cook on high for 5 to 6 hours).
- 4Using slotted spoon, transfer meat to large bowl and cover with foil.
- 5Transfer cooking liquid to large skillet, skim fat, and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in reserved sauce, remaining mustard, hot sauce, vinegar and liquid smoke.
- 6Pull meat into large chunks, discarding any excess fat or gristle. Toss meat with 1-1/2 cups of sauce and let sit, covered until meat has absorbed most of the sauce, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Serve on rolls, passing remaining sauce at table.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Beef (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.6
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 151.8 mg
- Sodium 884.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 53.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: