Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This chili is full of the flavors of a backyard BBQ. Cheesy biscuits are included on top.
Make and share this BBQ Beef and Baked Bean Chili - Rachael Ray recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs coarsely ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup beer, such as Budweiser (or you can use beef broth)
- 1 cup chili sauce
- salt, to taste
- 2 1⁄4 cups biscuit mix (recommended brand Bisquick)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 4 scallions, chopped (green parts only)
- 2 cups yellow cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Preheat a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat with vegetable oil and brown the bacon until crisp.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, leaving the fat in the pot.
- Add the sirloin to bacon drippings in the pan, using the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher to break it up while it browns.
- Season with the chili powder, cumin and ground black pepper.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the beans, brown sugar, Worcestershire and beer, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the chili sauce and season with salt to taste.
- While the chili is simmering away, mix up the biscuit mix with milk, scallions, and half of the cheese.
- Drop 6 spoonfuls of biscuit batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese and cook for 3 more minutes.
- A few minutes before serving, add the reserved bacon back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve the chili ladled into bowls with a cheesy biscuit on top.