Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
After Thanksgiving a lot of us have leftover turkey and sometimes I get tired of the soup, meatpie, etc solutions to the leftovers. Here is a recipe I devised with a little help from Southern Foods on the internet. I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and turkey from the carcass, but any meat would go well. Pork, beef, sausage or chicken would do very well, too. This goes well with coleslaw and rolls.
- 8 ounces cooked turkey
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup bacon bits
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In an oven-safe dutch oven saute the onions and bell pepper in the oil until soft.
- Add the black eyed peas ( or beans of your choice) after draining off the top liquid.
- Add the molasses, 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce, garlic pepper, bacon bits and Worchestershire sauce and mix well.
- Place the dish in the oven, pre-heated to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from the oven, add the turkey meat to the top of the bean mixture, drizzle the 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce over the meat and place back in the oven.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve with coleslaw and rolls.