Recipe by KeyWee
Quick & easy picnic salad - very colorful on your plate. The dressing is very tasty. Adapted from Taste of Home's Country Cooking 2001. Hey - sometimes I only have minutes to prepare a quick from-the-pantry take-along (I can't be alone here!!).
Top Review by Darlene Summers
Kelly, This sounded South western so I had to try it,I love south western.I was hesitant because of the title to even open it and look at it,but there is no BBQ taste to it.This is the greatest salad I have eaten in ages.Thanks so much. Darlene Summers
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans, corn, peppers& onion in a large salad bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine remaining ingredients (except chips)& bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover& simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly and pour over bean mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle crushed chips on top of beans (garnish with jalapeno slices, if desired).
- Serve at room temperature.