Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook by Marjorie Hurt Jones, c. 2001. Commerically prepared baked beans can be a problem for people with allergies because they often contain sugar and corn syrup, plus ambiguous ingredients such as modified food starch and "natural flavoring." Slowly baking these beans contributes to their wonderful flavor and aroma.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions or 1 1⁄2 cups leeks
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water or 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup broth
- 1⁄4 cup dark agave nectar or 1⁄4 cup sorghum or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional) or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups cooked unseasoned navy beans or 4 -4 1⁄2 cups great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 300*F. Oil a 2-1/2 or 3-quart baking dish.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet of 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions or leeks, celery, peppers, and garlic and cook for 7 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the tomato paste; water, stock, or broth; agave nectar or sorghum; vinegar; salt; mustard; and pepper sauce or ground red pepper if using. Cover and cook for 10 to 20 minutes. Stir in the beans and bring to a boil.
- Pour into the prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours. After one hour, check every 30 minutes for moisture and stir in 1/2 cup water as needed.
I have not tasted this recipe. I am only commenting because I think it is important to mention that the sweetener used in this recipe is not included in the nutritional analysis. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of either Agave nectar or maple syrup. If you use the Agave, the sugar grams per serving will jump from 6 grams to 16 grams. If you use the maple syrup instead, the sugar grams go from 6 to 23 per serving. Since my husband and I are doing the Belly Fat Cure and can have only 15 grams of sugar per day, even one serving of these "sugar free" beans would not be allowed.