Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Caution! This is EXTREMELY addictive! Requested by a very good friend. This is from my Sister. She never measured. I finally got the recipe down using measurements. It's the perfect blend of sweet with a slight tang! Can be made ahead and cooked the next day. Leave it in your slow cooker and take it along. Thanks SIS!
- 55 ounces canned pork and beans
- 1 lb bacon, diced (cut length wise 2 times then across)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup horseradish sauce (it has to be sauce and not straight horseradish!)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Fry bacon and onion until almost burned (add garlic toward the end).
- Drain fat.
- Place in crock pot or casserole all remaining ingredients, except brown sugar. Mix.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar (Do NOT STIR IN SUGAR!), put on lid.
- Cook in slow cooker on low 2 hours.
- Or cook in oven at 350°F 1/1/2 hours.
- Stir gently.
- Let stand with lid on about 1/2 hour before serving.
These were really good. I have never liked baked beans but I did have a helping of this and it was actually very good. I will definitely make this again for all of my baked bean lovers in my family.
My kids loved it, but for me it's ok..No offense!! Just for me I find it a little to tangy. I think it's the horseradish sauce...if I make this again I would make it w/o the horseradish, but I think i'll look and see if I can find a different recipe for baked beans.
Yummy!!! it came from Grandma so grandma gets a few stars too!!!!