Recipe by Muffinass
Mash with a difference! Mash combined with honey fried red onions, BBQ seasoning, fried bacon and parsnips. Great for an accompaniment to a BBQ, picnic or snuggled up on the sofa on a chilly winters day. Can also be fried into little patties like bubble and squeak! YUM!
- 4 large potatoes, suitable for mashing
- 4 slices smoked back bacon
- 2 parsnips
- 1 red onion
- bbq seasoning
- 1 pinch sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and boil the potatoes and the parsnips all together, with a pinch of Maldon sea salt.
- While the potatoes are boiling, peel and finely chop a red onion and fry in a little oil.
- Chop up the bacon and add to the onions, allow the bacon to brown and crisp up and the onions to caramelize.
- Add a good dollop of honey to the onions and bacon and turn the hob down so it's gently simmering.
- Mash the potatoes, add a dollop of butter or similar spread, a dollop of mayonnaise and a splosh of milk, continue to mash to your preferred consistency.
- Add some BBQ seasoning to taste, up to you how much you put in, I used about a teaspoon.
- Mix in the onions and bacon, which should by now be a thick consistency.
- Either serve up into bowls or place into an oven proof dish, add a good layer of grated cheese and grill till the cheese is brown and bubbling!
- If you have some left over, then you can mix an egg in and fry it into individual patties like bubble and squeak!