Mash with a difference! Mash combined with honey fried red onions, BBQ seasoning, fried bacon and parsnips. Great for an accompaniment to a BBQ, picnic or snuggled up on the sofa on a chilly winters day. Can also be fried into little patties like bubble and squeak! YUM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and boil the potatoes and the parsnips all together, with a pinch of Maldon sea salt.
- 2While the potatoes are boiling, peel and finely chop a red onion and fry in a little oil.
- 3Chop up the bacon and add to the onions, allow the bacon to brown and crisp up and the onions to caramelize.
- 4Add a good dollop of honey to the onions and bacon and turn the hob down so it's gently simmering.
- 5Mash the potatoes, add a dollop of butter or similar spread, a dollop of mayonnaise and a splosh of milk, continue to mash to your preferred consistency.
- 6Add some BBQ seasoning to taste, up to you how much you put in, I used about a teaspoon.
- 7Mix in the onions and bacon, which should by now be a thick consistency.
- 8Either serve up into bowls or place into an oven proof dish, add a good layer of grated cheese and grill till the cheese is brown and bubbling!
- 9If you have some left over, then you can mix an egg in and fry it into individual patties like bubble and squeak!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ and Bacon Mash Squeak
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.3
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 346.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 152.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked back bacon