Recipe by Lennie
This is an easy, healthy soup; use spinach if you don't like kale, but then you'll have to call it BBS soup!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb boneless lean beef, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (such as sirloin)
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup kale, washed well and thinly sliced (spinach is a suitable substitute)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; add onion and meat and cook until beef is browned.
- Add broth to pot, then stir in barley; add seasonings and stir.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer about one hour or until barley and meat are almost tender.
- Stir in mushrooms and kale; spinach can be substituted for kale if you don't like it or can't find it.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, until kale is cooked and meat and barley are tender.