- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 kg ground beef
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped (approx 175g)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt (say, 1/2 teaspoon)
- 600 g potatoes, peeled & sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1⁄4 kg eggplants
Breadcrumb and cheese mix
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 70 g butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated kefalograviera cheese (or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, if unavailable)
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn the oven on to 180°C . In large fry pan or wok heat the olive oil over medium heat and gently saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until lightly brown, breaking up the lumps as you go.
- Add tinned tomatoes, red wine, olives, oregano, basil, cinnamon and salt (if using). Stir, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. (If it is too runny at the end, remove lid and reduce til desired consistency.).
- While sauce simmers, oil the bottom of 30cm x 20cm lasagna dish and line with overlapping potato slices. Spray potatoes with olive oil and put into preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Peel some strips off the eggplant long-wise with a vegetable peeler and cut across into 1/4 inch slices.
- Put the eggplant slices on a tray and spray with olive oil. Cook under the grill until brown. Turn and repeat.
- While the eggplant is cooking, melt the butter in a small non-stick saucepan over low heat. Mix in the flour and stir quickly and cook until smooth (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add hot milk to the saucepan, stirring quickly and return it to the heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove dish with potatoes from the oven when cooked and put a layer of eggplant slices over the potatoes, using half the eggplant slices. Sprinkle with some of the breadcrumb/cheese mix (about 1/4 of it).
- Spread half the meat sauce over, followed by the rest of the eggplant slices. Sprinkle with some more of the breadcrumb/cheese mix (another 1/4 of it).
- Spread the rest of the meat sauce over,followed by the rest of the breadcrumb/cheese mix.
- Add the egg mixture and kefalograviera cheese to the Bechamel sauce mixture and whisk until smooth & fluffy. Top the moussaka with the Bechamel sauce.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.