1/1 Photo of Baz's Moussaka
1 hr 45 mins
Similar to other recipes but including red wine and olives in the meat sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 kg ground beef
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped (approx 175g)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt (say, 1/2 teaspoon)
Breadcrumb and cheese mix
- 1Turn the oven on to 180°C . In large fry pan or wok heat the olive oil over medium heat and gently saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- 2Add the ground beef and cook until lightly brown, breaking up the lumps as you go.
- 3Add tinned tomatoes, red wine, olives, oregano, basil, cinnamon and salt (if using). Stir, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. (If it is too runny at the end, remove lid and reduce til desired consistency.).
- 4While sauce simmers, oil the bottom of 30cm x 20cm lasagna dish and line with overlapping potato slices. Spray potatoes with olive oil and put into preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- 5Peel some strips off the eggplant long-wise with a vegetable peeler and cut across into 1/4 inch slices.
- 6Put the eggplant slices on a tray and spray with olive oil. Cook under the grill until brown. Turn and repeat.
- 7While the eggplant is cooking, melt the butter in a small non-stick saucepan over low heat. Mix in the flour and stir quickly and cook until smooth (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 8Add hot milk to the saucepan, stirring quickly and return it to the heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 9Remove dish with potatoes from the oven when cooked and put a layer of eggplant slices over the potatoes, using half the eggplant slices. Sprinkle with some of the breadcrumb/cheese mix (about 1/4 of it).
- 10Spread half the meat sauce over, followed by the rest of the eggplant slices. Sprinkle with some more of the breadcrumb/cheese mix (another 1/4 of it).
- 11Spread the rest of the meat sauce over,followed by the rest of the breadcrumb/cheese mix.
- 12Add the egg mixture and kefalograviera cheese to the Bechamel sauce mixture and whisk until smooth & fluffy. Top the moussaka with the Bechamel sauce.
- 13Bake in the oven at 180C for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baz's Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (630 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.9
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 178.1 mg
- Sodium 582.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: