2 hrs 20 mins
I would always order Beef Rendang when I saw it on a menu because I love it but have never been able to cook it. I've experimented with a few recipes and have now come up with a beauty that combines the best of a couple of others. The secret ingredient that "makes it" is the tamarind (I think). I use a cheap cut of casserole beef, cook the recipe initially on the stove top and then put it in a slow cooker and cook the bejeezuz out of it until the meat is falling apart. Some prefer to use larger chunks of meat than the usual 1 inch cubes and this is fine also. Also, no need for a blender/food processor with this recipe (but you might need a good old mortar and pestle to grind some of the spices, if they're not already ground).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 5 cloves, ground
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 star anise, ground (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water (as required)
- 1Heat oil in wok, or large pan.
- 2Add onions and cook over medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes should do).
- 3Add "Ingredients 1" and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent from sticking. Add a little of the water to make a paste.
- 4Add the meat and stir until it is browned.
- 5Add "Ingredients 2", stir and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- 6Lower heat and simmer covered until meat is tender (Remove lid for a while and reduce the sauce until thicker, if you wish, towards the end of cooking time.) Alternatively, transfer to a slow cooker and cook for hours and hours.
- 7Serve over jasmine or coconut rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baz's Beef Rendang
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.6
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 144.8 mg
- Sodium 2086.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 60.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: