Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This Middle Eastern-style beef casserole is easy to prepare and makes an excellent weekend lunch or supper dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb lean braising steak, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups red wine
- 5 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ounce shelled fava beans, fresh
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Heat the oil in heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and gently fry until golden.
- Add the braising steak and cinnamon, and fry for a further 3-5 minutes, stirring, until the meat is lightly browned. Transfer the contents of the frying pan to a casserole.
- Deglaze the frying pan with half the wine, and pour this mixture into the casserole.
- Add the tomato paste, water and remaining wine to the casserole. Stir in the bay leaf and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and season to taste.
- Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.
- Ladle into serving dishes and garnish each dish with a parsley sprig.
- Serve with good crusty bread.
Sorry. I made this as directed and it smelled fantastic while it was cooking, but nobody really liked it in my house. Thanks anyway.