Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
As my life goes, this happened by accident. I didn't have any gelatin so I decided to work with Jello. I kept my fingers crossed and got a few great opinions on how to go about it and dove in.. I used my "Crumb Crust" that I have posted and that really set it off. I will make this again. It is too good not to share. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 ounces margarita Jell-O gelatin, 1 box
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar,water,yolks,jello,and lime juice in the top of a double boiler. Cook ingredients OVER boiling water until thick.
- Add grated lime peel.
- Chill mixture in refrigerator until it forms little mounds when dropped with a spoon.
- Whip egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold in 1/3 cupt sugar.
- Continue to fold mixture lightly in turn into the lime/margarita mixture. Fill pie crust. Chill until set which may be several hours.