A firm favourite of mine when I lived in Herford in West Germany. This recipe comes from a German friend of mine who lives in Bavaria, and is delicious served with sour cream, dumplings or noodles - oh yes, don't forget the crusty sourdough bread as well! Although this is nice served with the above accompaniments, it is essentially a one pot meal which is sufficient to feed most hungry families. It can be cooked on the top of the stove or in a crock pot; the latter method is my favourite, especially when I am very busy or I need to go out!
- 2 lbs lean and trimmed stewing beef
- 2 big onions, peeled and diced
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (such as thyme, rosemary and marjoram)
- 3 -4 teaspoons sweet red paprika
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (425 g) canpeeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 peeled crushed fresh garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 0.5 (325 ml) bottle red wine
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a casserole, add meat and pan fry until brown.
- Add onion and heat until transparent.
- Then add carrots, potatoes and herbs and stir for a few minutes.
- Add red wine, tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic powder and caraway seeds - simmer for about 2 to 3 hours, adding some water if necessary.
- Crock pot: cook in a crock pot on high for 4 to 5 hours - reduce the liquid if cooking this way to about 1/4 bottle red wine.
- Serve with sour cream, dumplings or noodles.(And crusty bread - such as German Sourdough bread.).
I really liked this; husband didn't. I used the crockpot method with round steak and the full amt of liquid. I just thickened it w/a little Wondra flour before serving. In retrospect, if I had peeled and diced the potatoes, I think they might have dissolved and thickened the liquid on their own. ZWT6
Tartie I LOVED your friends stew and thank you so much for sharing it with us! I did not peel the potatoes and used baby carrots that I rough chopped. Didnt think I had enough red wine so I added about 1/2 cup of beef broth. Ran out of caraway seed so I substituted celery seed but definitely use the caraway seed for that rich hearty flavor. Simmered this on the stove for 3 hours and the stew meat was so tender, potatoes and carrots had a great flavor, and the sauce was heaven. This is so much better then the stew I make! Made and reviewed for KC's Recipe Tag Game.
I made this in the crock pot & had leftover rutabagas to use up so I diced those & threw them in with everything else. I didn't have the full 1/2 bottle of wine, more like 1/3, so I made up for what I drank.. er, I mean, what was missing ;), with some beef broth. I still should have cut back on the liquid, but after mashing the potatoes & rutabagas in the bowl, the consistency was perfect. :) I also added a few shreds of Jarlsberg cheese that I have to use up. Great flavor, FT! Thanks for posting. Made & enjoyed for ZWT-6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes!