A firm favourite of mine when I lived in Herford in West Germany. This recipe comes from a German friend of mine who lives in Bavaria, and is delicious served with sour cream, dumplings or noodles - oh yes, don't forget the crusty sourdough bread as well! Although this is nice served with the above accompaniments, it is essentially a one pot meal which is sufficient to feed most hungry families. It can be cooked on the top of the stove or in a crock pot; the latter method is my favourite, especially when I am very busy or I need to go out!
- 2 lbs lean and trimmed stewing beef
- 2 big onions, peeled and diced
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (such as thyme, rosemary and marjoram)
- 3 -4 teaspoons sweet red paprika
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (425 g) canpeeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 peeled crushed fresh garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 0.5 (325 ml) bottle red wine
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a casserole, add meat and pan fry until brown.
- Add onion and heat until transparent.
- Then add carrots, potatoes and herbs and stir for a few minutes.
- Add red wine, tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic powder and caraway seeds - simmer for about 2 to 3 hours, adding some water if necessary.
- Crock pot: cook in a crock pot on high for 4 to 5 hours - reduce the liquid if cooking this way to about 1/4 bottle red wine.
- Serve with sour cream, dumplings or noodles.(And crusty bread - such as German Sourdough bread.).