1/2 Photos of Bayou Shrimp Creole
3 hrs 30 mins
This is the ultimate Creole sauce which will take you some time to prepare. It's not the instant variety. But your results will make you very happy. Use shrimp or chicken, or crawfish. This is happy food! Serve over hot, white rice and if you have a heavy hand with the Tabasco, serve with ice cold Abita Amber beer. The leftover sauce can be mixed the next day with some smoked sausage, diced chicken, and the leftover rice for a great jambalaya. Just mix all that together and pop in the oven for 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs shrimp, raw, peeled and cleaned
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces tomato sauce
- 16 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups shrimp stock
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1In a large pot, heat the bacon grease and slowly add the flour, (whisking constantly so it does not burn) until the roux becomes golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 2Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and stir until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3Pour in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, and liquid from the tomatoes.
- 4Add the garlic, Tabasco, worcestershire, sugar, salt and pepper.
- 5Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add the wine and reduce by half, another 15 minutes.
- 7Add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, at about 15-20 minute intervals, reducing and stirring, let the vegetables really cook down.
- 8Taste all along the way, re-season according to your tastes.
- 9I like to cook this sauce down about 2 hours and then add the shrimp but you can add the shrimp anytime after the first hour.
- 10As soon as the shrimp are pink, about 10 minutes, remove the pot from the heat.
- 11Add the green onions, and parsley and serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bayou Shrimp Creole
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.2
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 193.5 mg
- Sodium 1397.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: