Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This casserole is DELICIOUS. It comes from "The Official Louisiana Seafood & Wild Game Cookbook". ** See Variation Below**
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 broccoli, 2 packs chopped & cooked
- 2 cream of shrimp soup (10 3/4 cans)
- 1 lb boiled shrimp (peeled)
- 1 small Velveeta cheese
- onion, sauteed in butter
- garlic, sauteed in butter
- Saute onion and garlic in butter.
- Heat cheese and soup in saucepan. BE CAREFUL WITH CHEESE, AS IT WILL BURN EASILY.
- When melted, add onions and garlic and mix well.
- Add shrimp, rice, & brocolli (be sure to drain well).
- Mix well.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Brown, if desired.
- Mushrooms can be added to top of soup/cheese, if desired.
- Use boiled chicken instead of shrimp and cream of chicken soup instead of cream of shrimp.
This is a good casserole, not sliceable but scoopable. A little spare in amounts, though. I used half of a medium yellow onion, chopped, and a large garlic clove, minced. Since I wasn't using leftovers, I started by putting water on to boil for the shrimp, then put my rice in my rice cooker. I used Healthy Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup because I am not too big on canned soups, so I measured out the dry ingredients for this while the shrimp boiled, then used the water from the shrimp to reconstitute the "soup", trying to give it some shrimp flavor. I drained and peeled the shrimp, and defrosted a 16oz bag of frozen broccoli. Then I sauteed the onion and garlic in about a tablespoon of butter, and continued on with the recipe as stated, subbing 2 cups of shredded colby jack for the velveeta. Because I didn't have any children to feed last night, I added some Tony Cachere's seasoning (and could have added more!). Topped with cracker crumbs and let sit a few minutes to "meld". Yum! I recommend having this recipe on hand for leftovers to reduce the work, although it was only about 30 minutes from start to finish (the rice finished cooking just at the right moment to put it in the casserole!). I bet this recipe would be 5 stars nummy with leftover shrimp from a crawfish boil, though! I'll have to try that next year. Thanks for posting, made for Gnome Tag.