Recipe by mollypaul
Just dandy any time of year. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Use vegetable shortening for a vegan cookie.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dates, cut finely
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease your cookie sheets.
- Sift dry ingredients together; set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening together until fluffy; add molasses, egg and water.
- Mix in dry ingredients very well; add fruit.
- Drop by teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.