Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe is so great and easy to change up. Feel free to add more things like crab meat, chicken meat, more veggies. I like to add more hot sauce to the mix while its in the crock pot. Have fun with it and dont worry there is no way to mess this one up. People will think that you slaved all day to make it.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1. In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Place flour-oil mixture in 3 1/2 to 4 quart Crockpot.
- 2. Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and water. Cover; cook on low setting for 7-9 hours. When ready to serve, cook rice in water as directed on package. Meanwhile, add shrimp to gumbo mixture in crockpot; mix well. Cover; cook on low setting for additional 20 minutes. Serve gumbo over rice.
I'm giving 5 stars with the disclaimer that I didn't try this. I made it for my husband and two kids to eat and they liked it so much there were NO leftovers! Even my SUPER-PICKY son LOVED this! The only change I made was that I added 1t of Tony Cachere's instead of the other seasonings. Oh and my roux was done in about 10 minutes total cook time. Thanks for sharing!
This recipe was great and everyone loved it! I must admit that it is a bit of work to make it but its well worth it! Thanks for the great recipe!