Recipe by Chef MB
Delicious and easy--can make it spicy or mild. Sometimes we have this on New Year's Day instead of Hoppin' John. It also works nicely in the crock pot.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (can use boneless, skinless breasts or thighs, leave the skin on or take it off, whatever you prefer)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups cooked drained black-eyed peas
- 1 tomatoes, chopped (or use 1 can Ro-tel for a spicier dish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mushrooms, onions, seasonings and peas in a large, greased baking dish.
- Push the chicken pieces down into the mixture.
- Scatter tomatoes over the top and pour wine over all.
- Cover and bake at 325°F for 35-45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.