Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Smoky sausage and Cajun seasoning add loads of flavor to rice and kidney beans in this sassy side dish.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup diced andouille sausages or 3⁄4 cup kielbasa
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cajun seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heal oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, red pepper, celery and seasoning; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in beans; cook, uncovered, until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
Very nice! We used it as a main dish - it was filling and flavorful. We enjoyed the nice little kick, and I served with hot sauce on the table for those who wanted more kick. Thanks for sharing. ZWT9
This is such an easy dish to make and it is full of flavor. It can be a main dish or a nice hearty side dish. I used smoked sausage as we have great sausages made here in the Texas Hill Country, but I can see where the cajun sausage would be equally delicious. Thanks so much for the post. Made for the Newest Zaar tag, January, 2012.