Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bavarian Bread Dumplings, posted for Zaar World Tour II
- 10 hard rolls (Kaiser rolls)
- 1 -2 cup milk, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup Canadian bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Slice hard rolls thinly and place in a large bowl; set aside to dry overnight.
- Bring large kettle of salted water to boil. Soak bread in warm milk. Bread should be moist, but not soggy.
- Fry onion and bacon in butter until onion is tender. Stir onion and bacon into moist bread.
- Add parsley flakes, eggs, salt and pepper to bread. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Shape into large dumplings.
- Drop into boiling water and simmer uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until dumplings rise to surface.
Excellent! I ended up using double smoked bacon instead of Canadian bacon, and used 2 eggs instead of 3. Just like Oma used to make. I served these with goulash - one of my favorite ways to use the leftovers of these dumplings is to slice them when cold and fry in butter until browned. Would definitely make again! I'm reviewing this recipe for Pick a Chef Fall 2006.