Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cooking Light. Nov. 2003.
- 2 cups petite dry green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place lentils and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until tender; drain. Discard bay leaves.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta; sauté 2 minutes or until browned.
- Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon. Add cabbage to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the lentils and cabbage in a large bowl. Combine vinegar and the remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over lentil mixture; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with pancetta just before serving.