Rich flavors and varied textures make this dish absolutely incredible. I found this last week from an old Bon Appetit magazine that I kept and made it again... (yes, it's a stolen recipe, not one I've created but I HAD to share this for everyone to try) Lucious is the best way I could describe this. It's from February 2004 Valentine's issue and would be a great romantic meal for your and two other couples or half everything and make it for just the two of you, and have leftovers! (I made this with cremini's and shitake. I did NOT have "amontillado Sherry" but used a good quality dry sherry)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb, from french bread with crust
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 12 ounces fresh chanterelle mushrooms (such as oyster, stemmed shiitake, or crimini, quartered if large) or 12 ounces other fresh wild mushrooms (such as oyster, stemmed shiitake, or crimini, quartered if large)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup amontillado sherry wine
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 cups water (or more)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 lb bay scallop
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Toss breadcrumbs with olive oil and parsley in medium bowl to blend.
- 2Spread onto rimmed baking sheet.
- 3Bake until golden and crunchy, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- 4(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.) Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add mushrooms and thyme.
- 6Sauté until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- 7Add green onions; sauté 1 minute.
- 8Add Sherry; boil until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
- 9Add broth.
- 10Boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- 11Add cream; simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 12(Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Bring 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- 13Gradually whisk in polenta.
- 14Reduce heat to medium-low.
- 15Cook polenta until tender, adding more water as needed if too thick, and whisking frequently, about 20 minutes.
- 16Stir in 3 tablespoons butter.
- 17Season with salt and pepper.
- 18Cover to keep warm.
- 19Reheat mushroom mixture.
- 20Melt 2 tablespoons butter in another large skillet over high heat.
- 21Add scallops and sauté until just translucent in center, about 1 minute.
- 22Stir scallops and juices into mushrooms.
- 23Season with salt and pepper.
- 24Divide polenta among 6 plates.
- 25Spoon scallop mixture over polenta, sprinkle breadcrumbs over, and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bay Scallops With Polenta, Wild Mushrooms, Sherry and Parsley Br
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.2
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.3 mg
- Sodium 672.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 19.5 g