Recipe by waynejohn1234
These are similar to the potatoes I have found in different parts of Portugal. Usually served with roast pork or chicken.
- 2 lbs new potatoes, of uniform size scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and stuck with
- 2 cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large bay leaves, crumbled fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes with the onion until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy skillet over low heat.
- Mix in olive oil and crumbled bay leaves.
- Allow to steep at the back of the stove while potatoes cook.
- As soon as potatoes are ready, discard onion and drain well and peel.
- Strain the butter mixture and return to skillet.
- Add potatoes and, over moderate heat, turn them in this mixture about 5 minutes until nicely glazed and touched with brown.
- Season and serve.