Food & Wine. 1998 "With chicken, the preparation dictates the wine choice. Here, the bay leaves and roasted peppers call for a fruity, herbaceous white. Try a California Sauvignon Blanc"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 bay leaves
- 8 chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 large roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until almost smoking. Add the bay leaves.
- 2Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until well-browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- 3Transfer the chicken to a plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan; leave the bay leaves in the pan.
- 4Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- 6Return the chicken to the skillet. Add the chickpeas and 3/4 cup of the chicken stock.
- 7Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is tender, 17 to 20 minutes.
- 8Discard the bay leaves and transfer the chicken to a platter. Stir the pepper strips and parsley into the chickpeas and season with salt and pepper; add a little chicken stock to the chickpeas if they seem dry.
- 9Spoon the chickpea mixture over the chicken and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bay Leaf-Braised Chicken With Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 686.4
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 159.2 mg
- Sodium 529.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 39.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers