Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Inspired by a recipe in Herbs & Spices by Jill Norman
- 4 unripe pears, peeled, and stemmed
- 5 -8 bay leaves, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 13 black peppercorns, crushed
- Place sugar, water and half of the bay leaves in a casserole dish.
- Lay the pears in the dish.
- Insert the rest of the bay over and between the pears. Sprinkle the peppercorns over the pears.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake in a 180 degree F oven until very soft, about 3 hours.
- Serve right out of the oven or refrigerated.