Recipe by Wild Thyme Flour
A french moulded cream dessert ( with variations) from Practical Cookery.
- 10 g gelatin (1/2 oz)
- 2 eggs (separated )
- 50 g caster sugar (2 oz)
- 250 ml milk (1 cup)
- 125 ml whipping cream (1/2 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using leaf gelatine, soak in cold water.
- Cream the yolks and sugar in a bowl until almost white.
- Bring the milk to the boil and whisk onto the yolk mixture.
- Place in a thick bottomed sauce pan and place on a low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. The mixture must not boil just like when making custard.
- Remove from heat and add the gelatine, stir until dissolved.
- Stir occasionally until cool and almost setting point.
- Fold in the lightly beaten cream.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into a fancy jelly mould or individual moulds which have been lightly oiled. Refrigerate until set.
- Turn onto a plate and serve.
- Chocolate: melt 50g ( 2 oz) chocolate in the milk.
- Coffee: add some coffee essence or coffee granules in the milk.
- Lemon or orange bavarois: add finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons or oranges and a drop of orange or yellow food colour to the mix. Increase the gelatine by 2 leaves ( 10g).