Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This stew has a lot of flavor because of the mix of vegetables is a good one, and the heavy casserole lid traps all the flavor.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 carrots, cut into 3/8 inch thick rounds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 large celery root, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 parsley root, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 leeks, split lengthwise,washed well,and sliced
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 lb sugar snap pea, tough strings removed
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 head savoy cabbage or 1⁄2 head green cabbage, damaged outer leaves discarded,cored,and thinly sliced (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 lb potato, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- In a large casserole, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium high heat, then turn off the heat.
- Layer the carrots over the bottom of the casserole.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with a little parsley.
- Continue layering the vegetables in the order in which they are listed in the ingredients list, sprinkling each layer with salt, pepper, and parsley.
- The last layer should be the potatoes, sprinkled with parsley.
- Dot the top of the potatoes with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Pour the water over the vegetables, cover tightly and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Real Stew.