Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
In my college gourmet class, I prepared this for our final exam. Not to toot my own horn, but I got a perfect score. It's so rich, you'll want to prepare this for extra special occasions. I looks like a whole lot of work, but it's so well worth it. The presentation is gorgeous and makes an impression that won't be forgotten. Both prep and passive times are approximate because the torte and fluff can be made ahead of time.
- 5 (1 ounce) squares milk chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no subs!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, separated at room temp
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 dash salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2-1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon Karo syrup
- For the torte:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate squares slowly. Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth and cool. Add egg yolks and whisk until blended.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. On high speed, beat in the sugar until stiff glossy peaks form. Gently fold chocolate mix into the egg whites. Fold in 1/3 cup of flour at a time, being careful not to overmix and deflate the egg whites.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake springs back. Cool on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes; turn cakes out to cool completely.
- In a 1 quart saucepan, place gelatin, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with the milk. Stir into the gelatin mixture and cook on low heat, stirring constantly until mix is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Place in the freezer to quick-chill.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Refrigerate.
- Whip the whipping cream in a chilled bowl.
- Remove the egg mixture from the freezer and beat again until smooth. Fold in the egg whites and whipping cream.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin and refrigerate until assembly.
- For chocolate glaze (prepare this at the last minute):.
- In a double boiler, melt ingredients, whisking until smooth.