Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
You can omit the rum, but it is better with it!
- 3 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk (or use half and half cream)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan bring the milk to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the sugar, rice, butter and salt; reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened and the rice is tender (about 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile in a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons cold water; let stand until softened (about 10 minutes) then stir into hot rice mixture followed by the rum and vanilla.
- Chill the mixture uncovered until cool but not set (about 1 hour).
- In a bowl using an electric mixer on high speed, whip the cream to soft peaks form; fold into the rice mixture.
- Divide the pudding between glass bowls.
- Chill until set (about 1 hour).