Bavarian-Style Rice Pudding
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan bring the milk to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the sugar, rice, butter and salt; reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened and the rice is tender (about 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile in a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons cold water; let stand until softened (about 10 minutes) then stir into hot rice mixture followed by the rum and vanilla.
- Chill the mixture uncovered until cool but not set (about 1 hour).
- In a bowl using an electric mixer on high speed, whip the cream to soft peaks form; fold into the rice mixture.
- Divide the pudding between glass bowls.
- Chill until set (about 1 hour).