Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
from "The Best Freezer Cookbook". This is good over egg noodles.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef cubes in batches.
- Place all beef in pot and stir in onions and garlic. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Sprinkle flour over meat and cook, stirring for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add stock and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, caraway seeds, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and discard bay leaf.
- If freezing: Cool. Spoon into freezer containers, seal and label. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- To serve: Thaw in microwave or fridge. Reheat on stovetop. When hot, serve over egg noodles and top with red cabbage.
- To make Red Cabbage:.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cabbage, apples and onions. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in water, brown sugar, vinegar and bay leaf. Cook,uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until veggies are very tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- You can freeze the cabbage in a seperate container and just thaw and reheat.