- 1 lb cabbage, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 6 ounces green beans, tipped and snapped into 1-inch lengths
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups green peas, if using frozen do not defrost
- 3 cups beef broth (preferably homemade)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, crumbled
- 3⁄4 lb kielbasa, sliced 1/4-inch-thick (knockwurst is also good)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cabbage, carrots, beans, potatoes, the fresh peas, if using, the broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a large heavy kettle (pot).
- Set over moderate heat and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the broth bubbles gently, cover, and cook without stirring for 20 minutes.
- Add the caraway seeds, marjoram, knockwurst, and frozen peas, if using, and toss lightly to mix. Re-cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, toss lightly, and serve in soup plates with crusty chunks of bread.