Recipe by JackieOhNo!
A traditional favorite for a German holiday feast.
Top Review by lolablitz
This was great, although I managed to burn half of the batch by leaving it in the pan on the stove while serving the family. The unburned portion was great though. I was out of apples, so I subbed extra yellow raisins which added a perfect level of sweetness. Thanks for the keeper!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 9 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 large tart apple, cored and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion in oil until tender. Stir in cabbage.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until cabbage becomes limp.
- Stir in apple, raisins, vinegar, brown sugar, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.