1/1 Photo of Bavarian "Pulled" Apple Strudel (Gezogene Strudel)
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is older than the Saints I think...or at least every Great Grandma I knew made this one with their eyes closed. We just watched in amazement. It looked like parchment paper on the table and they worked wonders with it. It was delectible, flakey every time, and anything that oozed was sweet and crunchy and great to our palate. You can master it, but it is a challenge if you like that sort of thing....I know I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Work the flour, eggs, oil, water, and salt into a dough.
- 2Divide into three parts.
- 3Form a ball of each piece, brush each piece of dough with oil and let it rest for 45 min.
- 4Place a old clean tablecloth on the table, roll out a ball a thin as you can.
- 5Here comes the tricky part.
- 6Make sure you are wearing no rings-- go under the dough like you are making your hands into claws with your fingers pointing down at the table and the soft part of your knuckles is what is going to pull the dough toward you.
- 7You will do this all around in a circle until the dough is paper thin and you can see through it.
- 8Brush generously with melted butter during this process.
- 9Trim off the heavy edges.
- 10Sprinkle on the apples, some sugar, cinnamon to taste, nuts if you like and drizzle a little melted butter over all.
- 11Now take the tablecloth and fold about 5" over toward the center on each side forming a frame around the dough.
- 12From the long side, Lift one side of the tablecloth and roll up completely.
- 13Fold it as long as your pan is.
- 14Seal edges.
- 15Gently put rolled strudel into the pan Bake at 350* for about 45-55 min.
- 16Until golden brown.
- 17There are other fillings like cheese, cabbage, sweet or sour cherries, raisins/nuts can be added to the apples, even meats have been done with this dough.
- 18I prefer the apple and cheese myself.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bavarian "Pulled" Apple Strudel (Gezogene Strudel)
Serving Size: 1 (3175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1593.5
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 116.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 321.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.6 g
- Sugars 51.4 g
- Protein 39.8 g