1 hr 5 mins
My Estonian DH loves pretzels but the only decent ones he say are 2 hours drive away up in the Blue Mountains. I am still trying to perfect the right texture and so far this recipe comes close. The number of pretzels depends on how big/small you make them. To make sure they all cook evenly I tend to weigh out the dough portions so they are equal weight. I hope I explained how to form a pretzel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the yeast with 30ml warm water and when dissolved add the rest of the water the brown sugar and all the flour.
- 2Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- 3Turn into an oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap and let rise 1/2 hour.
- 4Preheat your oven to 220°C.
- 5Place a large deep pan on the stove and measure in cold water. You will need to have the water at least 7cm deep so the amount of water depends on your pan size. Now for every 250ml water add 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- 6Make sure the soda is dissolved and bring the water to a gentle boil and then leave to simmer.
- 7Take a portion of dough and on a lightly floured surface roll out a bit thicker than a pencil and slightly tapering at the end.
- 8Now form into pretzel shape by rounding off the centre of the dough, crossing over the 2 ends and looping back down and pressing into the the dough.
- 9Let sit for a few minutes to rise slightly.
- 10Sprinkle a baking sheet well with salt.
- 11Make sure the water is simmering and place a pretzel in the water for just 10 seconds on each side using a large spatula to flip the dough.
- 12Remove the pretzel from boiling water and place onto the salted a baking sheet.
- 13Sprinkle salt on to the pretzels. You can also sprinkle caraway seeds it you like.
- 14Bake for 8-10 mins making sure they are a nices deep brown.
- 15Best eaten warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bavarian Pretzel
Serving Size: 1 (1174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.0
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13956.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 9.4 g