Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting for ZWT German
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup dry white breadcrumb
- 2 slices fresh white bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup farina, not quick-cooking
- 1⁄2 all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups cold riced potatoes about 4 or 5 medium russet potatoes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Brown bread crumbs in 4 tablespoons butter. Remove from pan, add the other 2 tablespoons butter and brown the bread cubes. Drain both on paper towels.
- Place the riced potatoes in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the flour, farina, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add the mix in three or more portions to the potatoes, beating after each addition. Add eggs and mix well. If mixture is too thin to hold together in a ball, add flour a little at a time to mixture.
- Bring 4 quarts of water and remaining salt to a boil in a 6-8 quart pot.
- Lightly flour your hands and shape each dumpling into a 2 inch ball. Press a hole into the center of the ball, place 2-3 croutons into it and reform the ball around the croutons.
- Drop all of the dumplings into the boiling water and stir gently, so they don’t stick to each other. Reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until dumplings rise to the surface. Cook for 1 additional minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a preheated platter. Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and serve immediately.