Recipe by Audrey M
A wonderful roast packed full of flavor. A nice fall meal. Serve it with a baked sweet potato or smashed garlic red potatoes.
Top Review by threeovens
The result is fork-tender pot roast like Grandma made. I used the red wine to cook it, but beef broth (with added beef bouillon) for the gravy, to lessen the sour flavors. I also added parsnips and turnips to the pot. Very satisfying comfort food, indeed.
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped kosher-style dill pickle
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup German mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons dry red wine or 4 tablespoons beef broth
- pasta, of your choice
- crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim extra fat off of roast.
- In a large skillet, brown roast in 1 Tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Drain off fat.
- Place the carrots, onions, celery and 3/4 cup pickles in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place browned roast on top of vegetables.
- In a small mixing bowl or large measuring cup, combine the red wine or beef broth, mustard, pepper, cloves and bay leaves.
- Pour liquid over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours of on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove the meat form the slow cooker and vegetables with slotted spoon.
- Place both meat and vegetables on a platter covered with foil.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Place in a 200 degree oven to keep warm until gravy is made or ready to serve.
- For gravy, pour liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan.
- Skim off extra fat.
- Stir 4 Tablespoons of red wine or broth and 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour into a small shaker.
- Shake until well blened.
- Place liquid on medium-high heat and stir in flour mixture.
- Cook until gravy is thick.
- Serve gravy over meat, vegetables, and pasta.
- If desired, top with additional chopped dill pickle and crumbled bacon.