1/3 Photos of Bavarian Pot Roast
10 hrs 20 mins
Audrey M's Note:
A wonderful roast packed full of flavor. A nice fall meal. Serve it with a baked sweet potato or smashed garlic red potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped kosher-style dill pickle
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup German mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons dry red wine or 4 tablespoons beef broth
- pasta, of your choice
- crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- 1Trim extra fat off of roast.
- 2In a large skillet, brown roast in 1 Tablespoon of cooking oil.
- 3Drain off fat.
- 4Place the carrots, onions, celery and 3/4 cup pickles in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- 5Place browned roast on top of vegetables.
- 6In a small mixing bowl or large measuring cup, combine the red wine or beef broth, mustard, pepper, cloves and bay leaves.
- 7Pour liquid over meat.
- 8Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours of on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- 9Remove the meat form the slow cooker and vegetables with slotted spoon.
- 10Place both meat and vegetables on a platter covered with foil.
- 11Discard bay leaves.
- 12Place in a 200 degree oven to keep warm until gravy is made or ready to serve.
- 13For gravy, pour liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan.
- 14Skim off extra fat.
- 15Stir 4 Tablespoons of red wine or broth and 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour into a small shaker.
- 16Shake until well blened.
- 17Place liquid on medium-high heat and stir in flour mixture.
- 18Cook until gravy is thick.
- 19Serve gravy over meat, vegetables, and pasta.
- 20If desired, top with additional chopped dill pickle and crumbled bacon.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bavarian Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.2
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 117.3 mg
- Sodium 303.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: