Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a nice change of pace varriation on a beef roast. It has that Old World flavor and it's crockpot easy too. Makes about 6 to 8 good sized servings.
- 3 -4 lbs chuck arm pot roast
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 medium apples, cored and quartered (leave skin on)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- Wipe roast well and trim off all excess fat.
- Lightly rub top of meat with oil.
- Dust meat with salt, pepper and ginger.
- Insert cloves in meat.
- Place apples and onions in the bottom of the Crock Pot and put the roast on top of the apples and onions.
- Pour in the apple juice.
- Cover and cook on a low setting for 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove the roast and apples to a warm platter when fully cooked.
- Turn the Crock Pot to High setting.
- Make a smooth paste with the flour and water and stir the paste into the Crock Pot.
- Cover and cook until thickened.
- Pour gravy over roast when serving.
WOW, great pot roast!! I happened to have some fresh ginger in, so I used it instead of powder, Used about a 3 lb blade roast, without bone. wonderful combination of flavours, we especially enjoyed the apples/onions, oh, nummy and of course the apple juice a great flavour, making the gravey outstanding. We saturated out garlic mashed potatoes with it!! BTW, it only took about 7 hours in my crockpot. Looking forward to the left overs for tomorrow's dinner. Thanks for sharing!!
I didn't get to try this, but my husband said it was great. Very easy to do! I used sweet potato, regular potato, and carrot. He did say he would like an onion in it next time.
Fabulous pot roast. I used a rump roast and it was very tender and sliced easily. This is quite different from my usual pot roast and I mean that in a good way. Filled the house with a wonderful smell and the meat and gravy were heaven. Beef goes well together with apples. Thanks 1Steve.