Recipe by Barb G.
Barley, sauerkraut and an apple turn barbecued pork into a healthy German fare! Use an apple such as Rome Beauty, Winesap or Cortland.
Top Review by chia
this didn't turn out the way i expected it to. the barley was hardly noticeable and the flavors just didn't blend right for me. i think it would have been better with a spoonful or 2 of brown sugar in the kraut mix, and maybe if the chops were browned first they would have been tender and not as tough as they turned out.
- 1 (32 ounce) bagrefrigerated sauerkraut or 2 (14 ounce) cans sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 large unpeeled cooking apple, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked regular barley (not quick-cooking)
- 8 pork loin or 8 pork chops, 3/4 inch thick
- 2⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sauerkraut, apple, onion, and barley in a ungreased 2 1/2-quart casserole or rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches.
- Place pork on sauerkraut mixture, Spoon barbecue sauce over pork.
- Cover and bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, uncovering the last 15 minutes, until pork is slightly pink when cut near the bone, barely is tender and liquid is absorted.