Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a spread I have been making for many years. It goes great with crackers (Saltines are my favorite) or with thinly sliced cocktail breads. (I'm not really sure why it was ever called a "dip"... it is definitely a "spread"). It is a very quick recipe and super easy to make. Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated for ease of serving at a party, just let sit out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before serving to soften a bit. Enjoy!
- 118.29 ml minced onion
- 113.39 g cream cheese (softened)
- 453.59 g braunschweiger sausage (I like Dubuque, but your favorite brand will work)
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- crackers (your favorite) or cocktail bread, for serving (your favorite)
- Heat oil in small fry pan and saute the minced onions 8-10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until softened. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- Remove Braunschweiger from its wrapper and mix it in a bowl with the softened cream cheese. Once combined well, add in sauteed onion and black pepper.
- Serve along side your choice of crackers or cocktail bread (or even try some raw veggies with it).
This was great - all my guests loved it! It was equally good on party rye and triscuits!
A easy recipe to do as is and very good, It make me think of a German Dip. The bavarian dip is a delicious dip if I made with liverwurst and sour cream. Flavored with pickle relish, the bavarian dip is mixed together and and can be chilled if desired before serving. This is a German Beer Cheese Dip Maybe I missed it, but should there be beer in the recipe? How else does it become a "hoppy, malty, creamy dip?" 1/4 cup German lager beer, such as Beck's. Saute the onion for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Then remove from heat and drain. O.K. You got me thinking?? I can play with my food this time! Got to go do the happy food dance!! NOW !!..THANK YOU for the DANCE and as will for the recipe.....Happy Cooking to you ...I now have two or three ways to do this dip....Party Time....Party....Party....PRMR 2013....Grpa