Recipe by TheGrumpyChef
The stuff you grow up on, when you live in a German community. Great with mashed potatoes.
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
Just a perfect addition to a cold winters night! We're big fans on German style food and the caraway in this hits in right on the money. DH is Asian, so we served with white rice (as we don't use mash potatoes much) - worked out great for us; 14yo DS loved it! I used one small head of cabbage... not sure how many cups it would have made. Be sure to use a really big pan as it makes a lot.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup celery, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 4 cups cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, cut into strips
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, mix throughly beef, bread crumbs, egg, 1/4 tsp caraway and salt.
- Shape into 16 meatballs.
- In skillet, brown meatballs in the shortening, pour off fat.
- Blend soup, water, cream cheese and remaining caraway, add to skillet. Add celery and carrot to skillet.
- Cover and cook over low heat 5 minute.
- Add cabbage and green pepper, cook 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally.