Recipe by Domestic Goddess
This is a German-Style meatball recipe, which is cooked in a gingersnap gravy with mushrooms. Cooking time is about 45 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- 6 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 dashes black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 6 store bought gingersnap cookies, crushed with a rolling pin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute' onion in butter until tender.
- Transfer to a bowl; add the torn bread, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add beef and mix well.
- Shape into (about 29) 1-1/4 inch size meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a greased 2-1/2 quart rectangular baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, add the mushrooms, crushed gingersnaps, water, brown sugar and bouillon granules.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, (stirring constantly) until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Cover, and bake 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Note: I used Stauffer's Original Recipe Ginger Snaps, but you can also use the Rippin Good Brand. Each cookie is about 2-1/4 inch in size.