Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk.
- On med-high heat (turning down to med, if necessary), cook and stir until mixture thickens and boils.
- Cook and stir 2-3 minute.
- Stir a little of the hot mixture into egg yolk.
- Stir egg mixture into the rest of the hot mixture and bring it just to boiling.
- STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
- Add vanilla.
- cover entire surface with plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- beat smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream.
While this recipe may turn out well if you figure out certain things, this is pastry cream and not bavarian cream. Bavarian uses no cornstarch and has gelatin in it. People who are looking for a good pastry cream may never find this good recipe under this name...they are going to miss out
I used this to fill a cake that i had made and what a treat. It was so much nicer than you regular sweet fillings. Thanks for posting, will be making this again.
I also used this to fill cream puffs. The cream filling was wonderful! Thank you, I'll make this again and again.